Saturday, July 2, 2011

Roasted Butternut Squash with Apple and Sausage

FYI-This post was from 8/28. The website was down so I couldnt post.
I saw Rachel Ray make a pumpkin and sausage dish today and I decided to make my version. I used butternut squash as it is available and almost interchangeable with fresh pumpkin. It has a short ingredient list and is just a chop, drop, and throw in the oven meal.

Ingredients
 
1 med to large butternut squash
2 firm red apples (Gala, Braeburn, etc.)
1 med sweet onion'
1/2 lemon or 1 tbls lemon juice
1 lb Sausage or Wurst (I used Sweet Turkey Sausage)
1 tbls Agave Nectar (I would have preferred honey or real maple syrup)
1 tbls Olive Oil
4 sprigs of fresh thyme
Salt and Pepper






Directions
1. Preheat oven to 450.
2. Get out a large baking dish/casserole dish to place the chopped veggies in.
3. Peel the butternut squash and cut in half length wise. Scoop out the seeds. Chop the squash into 1 inch pieces. Place in baking dish.
4. Slice apples into wedges. An easy way to slice apples are to sut them in quarters. Then, slice the core out on an angle. Cut in half to make 8 wedges. Add apples to pan.
5. Squeeze lemon juice over the apples and toss with squash to keep from browning.
6. Slice the onions into wedges and add them to the pan.
7. Add agave nectar, nutmeg, oil, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste, to the pan.
8. Toss everything to combine.
9. Add sausages and toss again.
10. Bake uncovered for 40 mins. Toss all ingredients once during cooking.

*I broiled it at the end because I like extra crispy sausages! I also squeezed a little lemon juice at the end. It needed something to brighten the flavors and it really helped!
I liked it but I would change a few things next time: I over coked it. Ooops! I cooked it for about 53 mins and I think 45 would be perfect. (I wrote the recipe to reflect that.) I would also use a larger pan as the ingredients were crowded.
Jeff loved it and said he wouldn’t change a thing. I felt like I wanted it to be sweeter but I LOVE the combo of sweet and savory. I’ll make it again but please let me know if you make it and what changes you made to make it even BETTER! :)

1 comment:

  1. YUMMMMM.Cant find any more posts .More pleeeeeeese. I wouldn't know how to make it better..hummm green chili?I always have chili on the brain xoxoxoo

    ReplyDelete