Saturday, July 2, 2011

Gazpacho Quinoa Salad

I have been experimenting with Quinoa this week. My first time I made it with stock and really didn't like it. It tasted kind of dirty or muddy. It was weird. i tried again with just water and liked it much more. After I got plain Quinoa down, I wanted to make some sort of salad. 


Here is an easy one that I have already made twice in two weeks. As Jeff says, "I want to have this constantly in the fridge all summer." He was happy when we ran out because he said, "Well, now you just get to make more." Silly. :) He also came up with the name for it. He said it reminded him of the soup with all of the cucumbers, tomatoes, and basil. You could add any veggies that you want to this dish. I want to 
 add some protein next time with some Chick Peas or Kidney beans. Enjoy!

 

Gazpacho Quinoa Salad  
Ingredients:
  • 1 C uncooked Quinoa 
  • 1 Cucumber (diced) 
  • 1 C quartered cherry tomatoes 
  • 2 T fresh basil, chopped
  • 2 T fresh parsley, chopped
  • 3 T Light Creamy Balsamic Vinaigrette
  • 3 T Reduced Fat Feta Cheese




 Directions:
 1. Cook the Quinoa according to package directions. Most have you rinse the quinoa first. I did this by pouring the cup of Quinoa in the sauce pan and running cold water over it 3-4 times until the water runs clear.
2. Put the cooked Quinoa in the fridge so it can cool before you mix it with the veggies. You dont want to cook the veggies at all.
3. Chop the cucumber. I had half of a store bought cucumber and a small home grown one :). I like to peel some of the skin off of the store bought one as it is too thick and waxy. Quarter it and chop into bite size pieces.

 4. Put the chopped cucumbers, tomatoes, basil, and parsley in a bowl.
5. Add the cooled quinoa to the veggies.
6. Pour the balsamic dressing on the top. I use a combination of a creamy balsamic and a regular light balsamic and love it. Really, just use any salad dressing that you like! Mix to combine well.
7. Add the feta to the salad and toss once more. Chill and enjoy!!!


    4 comments:

    1. Yummy that looks delishhhhhhh..Im going to a pot luck tomorrow and planning to make it .Missss you xoxo

      ReplyDelete
    2. Hummm my comment didnt go through ..I had said this looks delish and going to pot luck tomorrow and will probably make it ..xoxooxox

      ReplyDelete
    3. Oh wait it did go through.. . xoxoYour Multiposting Mother In Law

      ReplyDelete
    4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      ReplyDelete