Friday, March 11, 2011

DInner with Little D

Spring Break baby! I am so excited to be on vacation that all I wanted to do tonight was to go out to eat. I had some self restraint and cooked instead. A good friend, Little D, came over and we had some definite comfort food. I made a simple but super yummy spicy turkey sausage pasta. Here's the scoop:

I didint have any onions...Luckily, I have a steady supply of green onions growing in the back, so I used those. Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the delicious Trader Joes penne pasta that has such great texture. I usually go for whole wheat but this was a splurge.


In a large saute pan, on medium, saute 4 sliced green onions (using the white and the fresh part of the greens), with 2 tbls chopped garlic (I likea lot of garlic!), 1 tsp red chili pepper flakes, in cooking spray or enough olive oil to coat the bottom. Once they are soft, add 1 lb. of spicy lean turkey sausage (either ground or taken out of the casings). Cook until meat is brown. At this time start to cook pasta to your preference.

Add 1-14.5 oz can no salt added diced tomatoes, 1-14.5 oz can no salt added crushed tomatoes, and 1 small can no salt added tomato sauce. I used 2 bay leaves, 2 tsp dried oregano, and 1 tsp thyme, 1 tsp pepper, and salt to taste. Simmer for 25 minutes on med low.
Once pasta is cooked and sauce has cooked for 25 minutes, combine in sauce pan. Top with a combination of fresh basil and parsley. Serve in bowls and top with fresh Parmesan cheese.
We had it with TJ's broccoli slaw mixed with spinach and low fat Honey-Dijon dressing. It was awesome!!!
 It was a delicious dinner but we had a sweet tooth. I made us a batch of oatmeal cookies with mini chocolate chips....Yeah....magical! I also added raisins per Jeff's request to a few cookies for him. (Not my cup of tea.)

Finishing up the Limoncello. Will post tomorrow. Night all. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment