Sunday, April 10, 2011

Oh New Mexican food. How I love thee...

let me count the ways...

I love the green chile chicken or veggie enchiladas made with your Hatch Roasted green chile.
I love your Posole, Tortillas, and Sweet Rolls from Frontier that Jeff brought to me this week.
I love your Red Chilie Powder that is cooking with a beef roast right now with tomatoes and beer in the crock pot for tacos.
I love much more but, these are my current food favs.

Here are my two recipes for enchiladas. One for chicken and one with veggies. Change up the ingredients as you see fit. I usually add more chile or cheese depending on heat levels. Almost every New Mexican Green Chile Chicken Enchilada casserole style dish is some sort of adaptation of this recipe.

Cooks Note: This time, I used fat free cream of mushroom soup and it tasted delicious. I did not have spinach so I used one extra zucchini. I was delicious!!!

Try to get the best green chile possible. If you cant bring it home by the bushel like we do yearly, then most grocery stores in the Southwest sell Bueno Green Chile. It is delicious. This recipe is actually an adaption of the one on the Bueno container.

Green Chilie Veggie Enchiladas

1 box frozen spinach
2 med zucchini, large diced
1 pkg white mushrooms, sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic
3 Tbsp. Oil or Butter
2 10 oz. cans cream of mushroom soup (I use low-sodium)
1 ¾ (or more) cups frozen Chopped Green Chile
½-1 cups milk, water, or veggie stock
Salt and Pepper
12-20 Corn Tortillas
1-1½ lb. cheese, grated (Cheddar, Jack or mixture)

Preheat oven to 325º F.

1. Defrost spinach in microwave and drain using a clean kitchen towel. Get all of the water     
    out. Separate with fingers.
2. In a large sauce pan or stock pot, sauté mushrooms, zucchini, onion, and garlic in oil until slightly soft. (Optional: add 1 cup frozen or fresh corn sauté with veggies)
3. Combine veggies with soup, spinach, green chile, just enough water/milk/stock and stir. You want it soupy but not too runny. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Cover the bottom of a 9" x 13" pan with a layer of tortillas. Spread 1/3 of the sauce and
    veggie mixture over the tortilla pieces, and 1/3 of the cheese. Repeat layers.
    (At this stage, you can refrigerate the dish up to one night or freeze for up to one month)
5. Bake 30-40 minutes, until very hot, bubbly and slightly browned.

Serve with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, and sour cream.
 
 I did a little extra touch with "lattice"
 style tortilla strips across the top.

I top it with a ton
 of lettuce. Then,
 it fills you up!!!



Here is there recipe for the chicken version. Same steps, different ingredients. Eihter one is always a hit at a pot luck or party!!!

Green Chilie Chicken Enchiladas
4-5 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
1 medium onion, chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic
3 Tbsp. Oil or Butter
2 10 oz. cans cream of chicken soup (I use low-sodium or fat free)
1 ¾ (or more) cups frozen Chopped Green Chile, drained
½-¾ cups milk, water, or chicken stock
Salt and Pepper
12-20 Corn Tortillas
1-1½ lb. cheese, grated (Cheddar, Jack or mixture)
 
1. Season chicken with salt and pepper and broil, grill, or saute chicken, cool and shred.
2. Preheat oven to 350º F.
3. Saute onion and garlic in oil until slightly soft. Combine onion with soups, chile,
    water and stir. You want it soupy but not too runny. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Cover the bottom of a 9" x 13" pan with a layer of tortillas.
    Spread ½ the chicken over the tortilla pieces, then ½ the sauce, and ½
    the cheese. Repeat layers. Sometimes you will have 3 layers.
    (At this stage, you can refrigerate the dish up to one night or freeze for up to one month)
5. Bake 30-40 minutes, until very hot, bubbly and slightly browned.

Serve with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, and sour cream.

4 comments:

  1. They sound delish!!!! I'm going to make one of them for Bookclub.I'd make them with fat free milk and fat free cream of chicken and mushie soup.Hungry Girl would be happy:) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are really my favorite food. If I was on Death Row and they said what do you want for you final meal? I would want a whole pan of your enchiladas, with a tub of sour cream, and a whole head of iceberg lettuce. I'd die a happy, innocent (of course) man!!!! Love you baby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both the veggie and chicken enchiladas are amazing! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds great! I've never had veggie enchiladas before, I'm gonna have to make them. I made carnitas and beans & rice and was a great meal that lasted all week.

    ReplyDelete